Tuesday 16 March 2010

Tomato Time Again!



Hurray!  We sowed our tomato seeds on Friday.  After a long discussion and much poring over seed catalogues and a fairly thorough post-mortem of last year's performance, the Tomato Team (which consists of James, my Dad, and me) made our decision on what to grow this year.  And the surprise result is a clean sweep for the Reds!  We felt that the White Tomasol was a complete washout, both in cropping terms and in flavour,  the Black from Tula was tasty, but wasn't juicy enough and tended to go soft very quickly, while Sungold was alright but the skins were a shade tough.  So - here is what we are growing this year - all organic
  • Burpees Delicious
  • San Marzano
  • Lylia Cerisette
  •  Moneymaker
 
And here they are steaming away nicely in their cosy propagator.

Stop Press!!!  This morning when we lifted the lid pf the propagator we found a tiny green shoot peeking through (see small red arrow) .  It is a San Marzano - later on a Lylia Cerissett appreared too!  I just love the excitement and buzz of watching seeds grow. 

3 comments:

  1. Yum - going to start ours this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seeing what you did with your last year has spurred me to try tomatoes again. I don't have much luck with them, but have also been rejoicing the germination of some gardeners delight!

    Here's to a lovely red growing season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am gardening vicariously through you. :)) Although, i have to admit, reading your blog tempts me to plant maybe 1 or 2 tomato plants.
    If i do decide, then one has to be a cherry tomato. Yum!

    Congrats on your new shoots and here's to the start of your 2010 garden!

    What herbs will you be planting/having this year?

    I do hope you are having a good week!

    meggs.

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for visiting me. I love to read your thoughts and appreciate each one. I will respond to comments and queries here, so please check back xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...