Tuesday 13 October 2009

Winter Wheat - a straw revolution


I've decided to try growing some winter wheat, so we combined the two beds used for alliums earlier this year and broadcast the seed today. I was very inspired by reading Masanobu Fukuoka's short book - The One Straw Revolution, so I also sowed green clover seed before covering the bed with a straw mulch. The theory, at it's most basic, is that the straw, clover and wheat will act as a weed suppressant, and later when the wheat is harvested the straw is laid directly back on the soil and another crop sown with a green manure. The late Mr Fukuoka planted rice followed by barley, so I am unsure really where I am going with this experiment. I have discovered this wonderful website which I will be perusing over the winter, an hopefully emerge next spring with a clearer idea. Meantime, I just need to keep those hens away from what must look like paradise over their fence!

2 comments:

  1. I find the writings of Mr Fukuoka a huge inspiration. Permaculture and working with nature at it's best. Great to hear of another fan of his works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jacqui, 'One Straw Revolution' is on my Amazon wishlist already (fingers crossed for xmas) but didn't know about the website, great find thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for visiting me. I love to read your thoughts and appreciate each one. I will respond to comments and queries here, so please check back xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...