Tuesday 17 January 2012

Gorgeous Gooey Meringues


 I posted a picture of John's birthday meringue the other day.  They were indeed most gorgeous and gooey.  I have to say that this is not a special tradition, but me being a thrifty cook.  James had requested custard and banana for desert the day before, which called for 6 egg yolks, so the whites were lingering in the fridge.  Normally I forget about them, or stick them in a small tub and bung them (unlabelled), in the freezer whereupon they disappear into the depths. But - the birthday was suddenly upon us (as January birthdays often are) and some kind of celebratory sweetness was in order.  Meringue it just had to be. And here is the recipe. (Makes loads - I forgot to count - sorry)

 Put 6 egg whites into a metal or ceramic bowl  
(apparently if you let them stand for a day or two before using then they whip better)



Beat until they look foamy and cotton woolly,  and stand up in soft peaks. 



Then it's time to add the sugar - 300g (2 cups).  I used a mixture of icing sugar and soft brown sugar (half and half), because I wanted a soft squidgy meringue.




Beat in a tablespoonful of the sugar at a time until you have a stiff, satiny mixture.  See the picture? It isn't quite dropping off my whisk and is just holding it's shape.


Then put spoonfuls of the mix onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.  I brushed a little sunflower oil over the paper too, for some added non-stick value.



My instructions said to bake at 150 deg C (300F Gas mark 2) for 40 minutes, when they should come away easily from the baking sheet. Cool on a wire rack. They will be a beautiful pale golden brown colour.


I would say that they were just a wee bit softer than I wanted.  Next time I would bake them for  a shade longer - maybe 5 or 10 minutes. Still wonderfully fudgy and melt in the mouth delicious though. And James has just suddenly appeared from outside. How did he know they were ready?  He takes his chief taster role very seriously.


Looks like it passes the test, but he rushes back out again, as an important construction project is in progress in the garden.


Anyway, when cool, sandwich two halves together with some whipped cream, or melted chocolate or both.  Add fruit if you like, but whatever you do, savour that exquisite moment when you bite through the crisp shell and reach the melting gooey interior -  just sublime...

I am thinking of doing a regular weekly recipe slot.  I was asked by a lovely commenter  if I had a particular recipe and when I looked through my grandmother's notebooks, I found it.  Unfortunately I realised that these precious notebooks are beginning to fade and fall apart, so in the hope of saving these treasured recipes, I plan to begin a Granny's Kitchen Notebook series next week.  What do you think?  Would you like to see that?  It will be mostly sweet things - cakes etc, as my Gran was a skilled baker, but I think I can struggle through... virtual calories don't really count, after all... #fact :-)

37 comments:

  1. Oh don't, not with the recipe's, just the meringue lol. I went through a meringue phase last year, and of course I had to eat them with whipped cream, as you do. And I wonder why I am overweight (actually I don't lmao). My Mum had an old Be-ro recipe book and an old Silver Spoon recipe book from the 50s I think, I bet a lot of the recipes you have will have been in them. Tablet for instance or clootie dumpling, nom nom.
    V
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good idea!
    You can always print them off to make your own book for your grandchildren....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea Jacqui, I will be watching out for these, but will blame you entirely when I have to make and eat them all!! Great step by step for the meringues...I'll be trying it out x

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had meringue for dessert last night and tonight, with cream and banana. I find cooling them in the oven makes them crispy on the outside and marshmallowy on the inside.
    Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I do love gooey meringues! Did you have to make another batch just to show us the method? Oh what a shame ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha - no, Claire, I did photograph the original making with the hope that I would post the recipe if it worked out. I need to state now that I have several unseen and unsuccessful recipe 'posts' that didn't make the cut. :)
    Deb, yes I will do that next time, thanks.
    Thank you all. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to see weekly recipes! I may be off sugar,but I have a few teenagers here who feel they have been lacking in the dessert department.
    I think the meringues look so good and if I can ever find a day when the humidity is lower I am going to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness. I've never attempted these before (always been a bit scared). I'm going to throw caution to the wind and have a go! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. How great to have your Granny's recipes in her handwriting! Perhaps you could put them in plastic envelopes so you could preserve her handwriting and fingerprints, as well as copying the recipe off to use.

    After my mother's death, we found a small grocery list in one of her coat pockets. It's now framed on our daughter's kitchen wall.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do it! Show it in her own writing too if you can. I can't find my Gram Moore's recipe notebook and I am so sad about that. Perhaps its around her somewhere but I fear I must have thrown it out back when I didn't realize how important those things were.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Granny's Kitchen sounds great and I'm in awe of you making meringues, they are a delicacy I've yet to master!! I've tried scrupulously clean bowls etc but noticed you used metal, maybe i need to try that!

    Hugs to you San xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous17/1/12 15:10

    Another vote for Granny's Kitchen Notebook. I love traditional, handed-down recipes.

    At least your grandmother wrote them down. I tried to get my grandmother to write down her pie crust recipe (or sugar cookie recipe) "Oh I just put a little of this and that util it feels right." Luckily we have a family cookbook where some of the aunts pulled together her recipes. But, they don't quite taste the same.

    ReplyDelete
  13. that's a really lovely idea jacqui, preserving your sweet grannys recipes! i am not baking too much these days, with my children all grown and gone. and sugar isn't in the kitchen anymore either. but i can enjoy virtually indulging! thank you for sharing.
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the idea. Looking at your food photos and reading your fun commentary makes me feel all warm and happy inside. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Super meringue tutorial. I would love to see some more of your recipes

    ReplyDelete
  16. Super meringue tutorial. I would love to see some more of your recipes

    ReplyDelete
  17. absolutely fabulous! i'm inspired and yes please keep us posted on your recipes with your pictures. they are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. going to have to try those merangues! And yes would love a Grannys Kitchen notebook post from you regularly, inspiration for the kitchen :)

    Much love X

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm probably the only person on the planet who has never had Meringue before. They look lovely though so I may have to try out your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those meringues look delicious. And I would love to see granny's kitchen posts.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, they look heavenly!! I love your idea of a weekly recipe from your Grandmother's notebooks. And it would be a lovely way to make sure they're preserved for future generations.
    -Jaime

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm definitely interested in seeing more of your recipes...especially the ones from your grandmother's notebooks.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Could those look anymore delicious....um...NO! YUMMY

    ReplyDelete
  24. oh yum yum yum! and yes yes yes to granny's kitchen notebook. xo

    ReplyDelete
  25. Brilliant idea Jacqui and Thanks for taking the time to reply.
    I was talking to my Mum about your site and (not that I'm obsessed),but gypsy creams.
    Suddenly she disappeared under the stair and when she finally returned she had a small coverless book that had been my Grannys.
    I have looked for a date of publishing but it is very battered and torn.Anyway it was put together by the SWRI and each recipe was submitted by Miss so and so from any where in Scotland WRI.
    It is absolutely fascinating and contains such gems as 'sheeps head broth',including cleaning instructions (yuch!) or move pan to the side of the fire but no gypsy creams. At the start of each chapter there is a motto."Be pleasant every morning 'til 10 o'clock and the rest of the day will take care of itself" or"Do what you can,
    being what you are
    shine like the glow-worm
    if you can't be the star.
    My favourite though is "Keep yer face always to the sunshine and the shadows will alwys fall behind you '.I trust there will be no 'sheeps heed 'in your recipes !
    Sorry if this posts twice but got distracted and when I looked back my 1st post had disappeared

    ReplyDelete
  26. Mm, yes please!
    I sympathise with January birthdays. My son has just had a milestone one. He's managed to have the celebrations spin out for 2 weeks, what with family events, old school friends events, university friends events...
    By coincidence I was thinking about meringues at the weekend. The birthday cake required 6 eggs, separated, and I whisked the whites up with golden caster sugar. The result looked much too nice just to fold into the cake batter. You've convinced me!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oooh, I think that is a fabulous idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I would love to see some of your Grannies recipes Jaqui. I think a weekly recipe post would be great.
    Your meringues look yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  29. A great idea, would love to see the recipes, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Anonymous19/1/12 16:54

    YUM! There is little tastier than a meringue that's a bit cahoochy in the middle!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh yum! I cam over for this moment and got food instead...how lovely! My grandmother would serve them with Ice Cream...yum! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks all for your supportive and lovely comments. I am really busy and struggling to find blog time a bit just now, so I may not commit to a weekly post, or that might be all I get done. But certainly a regular feature. No sheeps heid though - at least for now ;)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  33. Unfortunately virtual calories become real calories when we carry the recipe into the kitchen... by all means, do it!!! ;)

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is such a nice blog.

    About the recipe idea, I think it would be criminal to allow your Grandmother's recipe book to be lost forever but transferring it all over to electronic form would be a labour of love.

    Sharing a recipe with us all now and then would be most welcome, especially if they are as appetizing as your meringues!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love the meringue recipe, even better with photos! It would be awesome to see more recipes from your wonderful grandmonther...recipes from the past are always so special and it would be a great way to preserve them for the future. Thank you for posting the meringue recipe as it is fun to see what people eat in different parts of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Yes to a weekly recipe! Please! Anything that takes your fancy. This winter I have been trying to extend my baking skills and really enjoying myself. But any new recipes of whatever category are always welcome.

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for visiting me. I love to read your thoughts and appreciate each one. I will respond to comments and queries here, so please check back xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...