Thursday 1 October 2015

Corners of my home: The Blue Room























I finally finished decorating James's bedroom; a long planned, but often procrastinated project. A few weeks ago, however, we bit the bullet, had a huge declutter, and set the wheels in motion.  He decided he wanted a blue room, which was fine, but our ideas about shades of blue differed somewhat, so we had some extensive negotiations on the final colour. I worried that the very strong blue James liked, would be too dark; he thought my pastel preference was boring.  Eventually a slight compromise was reached on James's part ( a very large one on mine), and the room was painted. And it is blue - very blue indeed - much more blue than I would have gone for. But, you know, it works! Having two windows, South and West facing, means that the room benefits from lots of light all day, and so the strong colour is not overpowering. He said he knew that, and of course he did... it is his room after all.

Anyway, with the decorating completed, it was time for the accessorising. New window blinds, bed linen, cushions, his favourite posters, and other wee bits and pieces, make this a bright but cosy room for a boy. 

I converted the built in cupboard into a desk space. I am very pleased with this, considering it was my first power tool project - thanks to Pinterest and You Tube for the inspiration and assistance. James loves it and it's proved to be a great addition to the room. 

I remembered I had a remnant of Star Wars fabric lying around in the old stash, and made a quilted seat pad. I just traced the shape of the seat onto paper and used it as a template. It was a really speedy make, and It felt so good to just have an idea, and then the finished product, in the same afternoon!

Oh, and there is one more outstanding project that will just finish the room off. I am making a couple of quilts using the fabric from the old window blinds. The yellow should give a nice pop of contrast colour. They will take a bit longer than the seat pad, but hopefully they'll be done soon.

So - that's a quick tour around the blue room. I hope you enjoyed it. I am thrilled, with the room and I keep sneaking through just to admire it.
xx

26 comments:

  1. Anonymous2/10/15 01:02

    you are amazing and resourceful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just love it - James was right!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did enjoy my tour, the room looks amazing and I love the blue walls.
    Great job with the power tools, aren't they fun?
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its perfect! Your boy knows what he likes and I think its amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The blue color is ideal, he was right, and the desk is a nice addition that you created.

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's lovely, and the desk in the cupboard is great! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. My boys had the same colour blue rooms when they were younger - it looks great. Well done. Love the cupboard/desk area! Fantastic. You should be very proud of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous2/10/15 12:58

    That is a perfect boy's room! Well done both of you! 👍😊

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job! My teens revamped their bedrooms over the summer and wanted bold colors, too. I did end up painting my son's room twice as his first color choice was just not the right color once it was dry...hate when that happens. :(
    Love the StarWars cushion!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a lovely room, an ingenious use of space having the desk in the cupboard.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations to you and James, on the marvelous, stylish blue room results! It's a great boy's room.

    I am quite impressed that you've now added power tool use to your skills. xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it! I really miss the wall presses that we had in our house in Cupar - we could stash so much out of sight and tuck things away in them. We did take the doors off a couple of them, but I kept a couple of them complete. The modern house we are in now has nowhere near as much storage space! Well done xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks great. You have inspired me to get to grips with the big drill staring at me in the cupboard! I did one of the girls bedrooms too this summer and was expecting black and orange! Thankfully she went for a rich raspberry magnum pink. When I'm needing sugar I just sit on her bed and look at the wall!! We have the same cuddly sheepdog !

    ReplyDelete
  14. The perfect "boy" room!! I have to tell you, it looks like the same shade of blue that was in my boys' room until we had to neutralize the color when we put it on the market. You did a wonderful job!!!! By the way, I LOVE the "New York" poster!!! : ) If he'd like anything else from New York just let me know. I'd be more than happy to send it to him. I truly mean that Jacqui!!! xoxo

    ~ Wendy
    http://Crickleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy, I'll ask him - we could maybe do a wee swap. We are hoping to make it to NYC for a short trip when we are in Canada... xx

      Delete
  15. Anonymous3/10/15 22:07

    Wow I am so very, very impressed by your beautiful work! I'm sure James will enjoy his room so much. Well done to the two of you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the blue room by the ocean. So nice for you two to do this together.

    ReplyDelete
  17. New is always uplifting and satisfying . It all turned out very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm glad you were able to compromise...the deeper blue is perfect. Your cushions are a great pop of color...especially like the one on the bed. Is that ready made or did you tackle it yourself (Scotland flag)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meggie, I bought it ready made for another room, but now it is perfect for this one. Xx

      Delete
  19. you outdid yourself and the blue is quite blue but a nice blue for a growing young man. Love your first power tool diy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well done, it looks fab and very blue. My eldest had a dark blue and dark red room at one point, fortunatly it was a big room with 2 big windows so could absorb the strong colours :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well done to you both, the new blue room looks so inviting. Love the desk space, what a great idea and so practical.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the blue room, I had a bedroom very similar to this shade at one time, its very restful. V xxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you all for your positive comments. I loved doing this, and am ready to begin the next room makeover xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. And a lovely Blue Room it is. LOVE the closet desk. Very impressive.

    Missed you and your blog. Hope life is easing for you!

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for visiting me. I love to read your thoughts and appreciate each one. I will respond to comments and queries here, so please check back xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...