Sunday 20 December 2015

Doing Christmas






















Another Christmas is here already. The halls are decked, cards sent, presents wrapped. The food preparations are beginning in earnest, and the fire is lit. Everything seems pretty normal. And there is no reason why it wouldn't be - It was always me who made Christmas happen in this home. John - while he wasn't exactly The Grinch - was always relieved when the fuss was over. To be honest, he wore his "bah humbug" badge well - all good natured stuff, of course. I was remembering earlier that when he retired, several summers ago, his staff decorated his office with a massive full on Christmas tree - it was so funny. 

I miss him.


So, despite appearances, Christmas is not the same. It never could be, really. Still, it's nice to have a celebration to look forward to in these dark days. For the first time in over 30 years, I won't be home for Christmas, and that simple, (yet huge) change is making the prospect  of this "first" one just a bit more bearable. I'm also quite looking forward to being a guest. 

I'm taking a break from the blog over the holidays, although I might pop in with the odd postcard. I'll probably be more active on Instagram, so if you are there, please drop by. 

Meanwhile I'd like to thank you all for your unwavering love and support over this last year. I have never failed to be uplifted and held by your words. Wishing you every blessing for Christmas and the New Year. Lots of love xxx

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...