Friday 19 February 2010

Lenten thoughts

I like the idea of Lent.  Not in the usual giving up sweets for 6 weeks sort of way, but more as bringing awareness to the spiritual journey - a nourishing of the soul. It is a time of drawing inwards before the grand burst of Spring activity that is just around the corner.
I have been reflecting on how I care for the garden by composting, sowing, feeding, watering, weeding and allow resting by crop rotation, and the way the garden responds by providing fresh delicious food to nourish our bodies, flowers to brighten our days, and herbs to enhance our mealtimes or ease our discomforts, as well as being a pleasant place to sit, play or just be.
Being a mother is a bit like being a garden - it is Mother Earth after all, We feed and care for our children and families, striving to provide homes and lives full of love, peace, fun, laughter and beauty - and a safe space for them just to be.  
It's easy to become depleted and forget to care for ourselves, and I am guilty of doing that.  During this time, therefore, I intend to focus on how I can nurture myself more by getting enough rest,  being mindful of my diet and excercise need and honouring some quite time each day..  Simple things, but easily overlooked in the hurly burly of family life.Hopefully, my family will reap the benefits of this new well rested, nourished mama, and who knows what else may flower? Blessings.

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely post, I enjoyed reading that and it connected with me too.
    I too see this time as a "waiting for things to flourish".
    Take care x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite a lovely post and i love the photo/candle in the bowl.
    Glad to read you will be taking some time to nourish yourself, in whatever activity or non-activity you choose.

    Blessings, Love and Light to you too Jacqui.

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for visiting me. I love to read your thoughts and appreciate each one. I will respond to comments and queries here, so please check back xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...