Friday 14 October 2011

Holy Cows



Delia and Baby, our cows, have been up on  a section of the hill grazing for a couple of months now, but we could see them most days as we passed along the road.  At the beginning of the week, however, we noticed they were not around.  No worries, to begin with, as just over that dip behind the trees, there is a small lochan where they go to drink, but a couple of days passed and there was no sign of the girls.
On Wedensday, while I was up to my eyes in pie crust, and errant piglets, John decided to take a walk up the hill and check on them.  He covered the hill, but couldn't see any signs.


He noticed that Flossie and her calf, who had been their companions on the hill, had been brought down and were in a field near the house. Off John went to see if our two had come back down with them.  He returned a couple of hours later and announced that our cows had found God!
Still thinking about our poor Robbie, my heart sank, as I imagined some tragic end for Delia and her daughter, but thankfully - all is well.

They had wandered through a gap in the fence which led to the garden of the old Free Church Manse, and couldn't get back out.  They were just hidden enough that we couldn't see them, but as we climbed up the steep path, they came over to greet us very happily.


They are looking in great condition - Delia has lost a wee bit of weight, which is what we had hoped would happen.

They were very pleased to see James, anyway.


Now they are back grazing on the heather covered hillside for another week or so. We will bring them down to the croft when our visitors are here - and then Baby will be going to a very special place, for a secret rendezvous ♥♥♥!!!

21 comments:

  1. Phew! So glad you found them!! Do your visitors know they've got to earn their keep! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. looking at the light in the first photo, I thought....rain on the way!!!

    Glad the cattle were safe! I've many memories of walking the Common for hours to check Col's ponies with him!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you found them. They can be little rascals can't they, sneaking through fences to where their not supposed to be and giving their owners a fright!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful blog! I spent three very happy years living in the Western Isles (Lochganvich) in the early 70's so, as well as enjoying your postings for their own sake, I am really loving this trip down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All's well that ends well .........a happy conclusion. We are leaving Lewis of which I feel so sad.:(

    ReplyDelete
  6. My heart sank for a moment! I am am glad they are well and just out exploring. So, does Baby have a special 'someone' for the future? How exciting! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Truly free range cattle!

    Glad you've tracked them down x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bet they were on an adventure that made memories. I would have been frantic with worry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely story, Bless 'em! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad they made their way home!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful photos! They are looking quite fit and I also love the photo with the sheep checking out what is going on-lol!
    Have a wonderful weekend!
    meggs.xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love this, you are the best story teller. but i need to catch up, i don't know who baby is and what about an adventure? it is so beautiful where you live, love the cows and sheep and hills and green.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. How funny - you have "cùramach" cows! I'm glad they showed up. And - romance in the air for Baby! Or maybe they don't look at it that way?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Phew! I do love cows and I love the shot of James on the gate. Just gorgeous.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, one's an oreo cow! (I know that's not the proper name -- she's a Belted Galloway, right?) There use to be a decent sized herd on the way to San Antonio. Always meant to get a photo because I found the coloring so fascinating. I love the photo with the sheep too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My heart sank, but I had to laugh when they were found. Thank goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great blog - love the photographs.
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  18. what a great story! it's funny how cows can be just like our dog, getting into all sorts of mischief.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cute story and so glad your little cow family turned up! Is the black one a black angus? My dad used to keep a heard of those when I was young . . . and goats for some reason ;). I remember him telling me to get my horse and come help work goats in the summer -- fun days.
    Blessings,
    G

    ReplyDelete
  20. Phew, so pleased they turned up safe and sound. Hope they enjoyed their mini pilgrimage!
    And double phew that I can actually comment here again, your blog hasn't been liking me for a few weeks now?
    I hope Baby makes the most of her rendezvous!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you all xxx
    Baby is a Dexter crossed with a belted galloway heifer, and Delia, her mother is a pure Dexter.
    An oreo cow sounds like a good name - my elder son would like that !
    GZ - it did rain right enough, but i took that first picture the morning after, just to show the hill grazing. Thankfully the previous day was bright and dry.
    PTL - Lochganvich has some amazing views - not far at all.
    Claire - Shhh

    xxx

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for visiting me. I love to read your thoughts and appreciate each one. I will respond to comments and queries here, so please check back xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...