Thursday 13 October 2011

Who ate all the pies?



We had a cooking demonstration night at the village hall yesterday.  Organised by the parents of the Croilegean ( playgroup) to end our healthy eating project.  It was a great success.

We all contributed a pie or two - this is a small selection, there must have been around 20 pies altogether.


My offerings were - a bacon apple and onion pie (no, not yet...)  Just bacon, onion apple and sage cooked together until nice and soft and melting, then sandwiched between two sheets of puff pastry - delicious.  The other was a bit more time consuming - Rainbow Chard and Feta  in a filo pastry.  The recipe can be found here - well worth the effort , I have to say.


But - oh my!  What a feast was in store for us before all that.  Sneaking into the kitchen where some frantic food prepping was going on, I  found a veritable rainbow of delicious colours.


And then it was time for the demonstration - we are so lucky to have such talented  people in our community.  The food was wonderful - and the taster-size portions were  - well - Hebridean sized.  As plateful after plateful of vegetarian picadillo with pancakes and salsa, followed by creamy kedgeree, macaroni bolognese, chicken princess, summer pudding and chocolate roulade were passed around, I began to wonder how we were going to be able to even look at a pie.  But, somehow, we managed to do them justice.


It was great to see the children getting involved - handing out the plates, welcoming guests and just being part of it all.


And the Croileagan children had worked hard setting up their displays, making vegetable printed seed packets and collages to decorate the hall.


And the answer to the original question?  Well - me, of course. Two slices of leftover pumpkin pie for breakfast - sshh, don't tell anyone!


p.s If anyone want the recipes from the cooking demo, drop me an email and I will send them as a word doc.

25 comments:

  1. Ooh I do like a nice pie myself ;-)

    Looks wonderful, and a great community event.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good time was had by all, and the pies look great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous idea for an event!
    My mout is watering, just now looking at the pictures of those pies. Getting the kids to learn about healthy foods starts early. And, by the looks of it youy all did a fantastic job!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great event! The seeds packets look so good. I love pie too xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. All looks yummy!!!! i am hungry now! lol xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. My stomach is growling! I need pie! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all forms of pie (pumpkin is my all time favorite), now I have to go and make one. Thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely example of community spirit (because in every example of community spirit food tends to be the binding agent doesn't it?) Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did, Jacqui. I ate all the pies. And I have the waistline to prove it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds like a lovely event, made even lovelier by all that food!! I bet the place smelled fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh pie! I love pie! I'd have been fighting you for the last piece of pumpkin pie for breakfast ;).
    Blessings,
    G

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love pumpkin pie for breakfast. And pumpkin is very good for you, so no guilt!
    It looks like it was a great time! The food looks and sounds wonderful and I love the children's artwork, especially those seed packets!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh how delicious, it looks like a wonderful event. i love how children are involved too, future bakers and cooks of scotland.
    how do you choose a favorite?
    i must say though your puff pastry one sounds incredible. i'm saving that recipe.
    thank you jacqui for sharing.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow - what an amazing idea! that all looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That all looks mouth-watering. Not the easiest of things to find in Spain, pies! Although, curiously enough, I managed to find a passable pork pie (a habit developed at university in Sussex in the 70s) in a Brit grocer-cum-cafe, next to the Vet in a nearby town a few days ago. Demolished it in one sitting, I'm afraid. Best.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh no... not one slice saved pour moi!!!!

    Hope you enjoyed your well deserved breakfast treat.

    San xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. My mouth waters. Seriously, when is having pumpkin pie an oddity for breakfast? ;-) (I will have to admit it only happens in late fall around here.)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely. I had cheesecake with cranberry-maple topping for breakfast myself ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fabulous thing to do! And your pies look (and sound) amazing...

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gah, why is there always food pictures when you are trying to be good and not eat fattening foods lol. Some lovely looking pies there (that came out like a I was a dirty old man in an overcoat lmao).
    V
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOL - i've had leftover pumpkin pie for breakfast every day this week!!

    (last slice this morning...*sniffle*)

    looks a marvelous time and such beautiful food!!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, leftover pumpkin pie is my favourite breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Both of your pies sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh delicious! I am hungry now!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yes, it is a bit time-consuming, but glad you found it worthwhile. I haven't made any thing year because we had no chard.
    I saw in Friday's P&J that there are hardly any beds to be had in Lewis! It will be strange not being at the Mod - looking forward to some photos from you.

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for visiting me. I love to read your thoughts and appreciate each one. I will respond to comments and queries here, so please check back xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...