Wednesday 28 March 2012

Knitting and reading


Joining in again with Ginny for Yarn Along - although I have a bit of a cheek, given that my knitting has not progressed very far since my last YA post,  and until today, other blogs and twitter feeds had been my main reading matter for a week or so.

Anyway, I am still plodding on with my simple and effective shawl.  I had made a few mistakes, and so kept having to rip the whole thing out, as it was too difficult to pick up the stitches again.  Then the lovely Shannon took me aside and suggested using lifelines.  Lifelines! I never knew of such things, but they are very well named - lifesavers indeed.  So now my stitches are safe - thank you so much Shannon.  However, when we were waiting in the ferry queue, on our way to the wedding (I haven't forgotten), I accidentally sat on my knitting bag and broke one of my Brittany wooden needles.  Well, of course, I didn't have any spares with me, and 6 am in Stornoway is not the best time and place to pick up a new set.  I was annoyed, as I had been using a circular needle, but decided to work on straights until I had enough stitches.  No matter, I reasoned, I would get some in Ullapool when the ferry docked. Three hours later, (a lot of lost knitting time) we stopped outside the two yarn shops (they are across the road from each other) Gasp - both were closed until April!! Sigh... another 4 hours lost as we drove down to our hotel, and the next day was taken up with James's xrays and scan.  I had to wait for 2 days until I went to Edinburgh, before I was able to buy a set of 3.5 needles. However, it was my favourite yarn shop, K1 in the Grassmarket, so a lovely browse around all the goodies there made up for the wait.  The very friendly lady behind the counter was knitting hexipuffs to make this, which I thought was very cool.  But I digress - and I kept on doing so, over the rest of the week, as I only managed a few rows.  I am back on it, in between everything else that is happening.   The weather has been amazing so we are really making the most of it, and knitting isn't quite making  the top of the list.  Still, I always have it around, to sneak in a row or two here and there, and it is slowly growing.  Still loving the yarn, although it is not stripey, as I thought, but more of a marbled effect.

Reading has not been happening either -  apart from Home style magazines, blogs and twitter, nothing is calling to me right now.  So, I was delighted when the postman called today with my copy of Taproot.  Yes, I know it is technically a magazine, but it is different - there are lots of words - all strung together into real meaningful sentences, paragraphs - essays. Beautifully and mindfully written, as you would expect.  Photography is inspiring, artwork stunning. Actually, I have only read one article so far - Julia Shipley's incredibly evocative piece on Soil - sheer poetry, and I just didn't want the images and ideas to fade from my mind, so I stopped.  I think this publication will be like that - read an article, and then meditate over it before moving on to savour the next.

Hoping you are all able to savour your own knitting and reading this week xxx

25 comments:

  1. I'd love to be able to knit beautiful things but it always seems like I get into the middle of a scarf and then get bound up in another project. I think I'm just too fidgety to relax and knit! But I really admire the work that other people make and look forward to seeing your shawl when it's complete :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous28/3/12 09:15

    I can't wait to see your shawl finished. My knitting and crochet have had to wait, I have RSI in my right arm. So many things I wanted to make too! Oh well, good job it's been sunny to cheer me up! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be so annoyed with all that lost knitting time, but glad the shop was able to make up for it. And that magazine looks interesting, I haven't heard of that before, who publishes it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Taproot looks wonderful - must look that up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's published by Amanda Blake Soule and others. I have linked to the website. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. How disappointing to have a broken needle, but I am so glad you are back on track. I have heard of life lines, but haven't knit anything were I need them yet; maybe I need to challenge myself more!:)
    I ordered my Taproot late, so am still waiting, hopefully soon.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I must knit dangerously because I do not use life lines! I am glad that it solved your problem. I thought I broke a needle while at my sister's but I was able to fix it. I felt very lucky :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a shop worth visiting next time I get to Edinburgh!
    Jobs seem to be sprouting as fast as the garden...busy busy!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So happy to have helped! And clearly I must update my blog. haha! Almost 3 years since a post? Time flies when there are small children around, eh? ;-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. What is it about broken needles this week? Yours is the third one I've heard about since Monday!

    I hate lost knitting time :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. i looked up lifelines for knitting and that seems like a very good idea, especially if the row is very long. i'm working on a hat right now and i'm using the four double-ended needles, which is a new thing for me. i also looked up the hexipuff pattern and that is gorgeous. i've no idea how you get the height in the squares but the effect is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's interesting to see/hear how fashionable Grassmarket appears to have become. When I was a nipper, I had cousins etc., who lived at top floor flat at Castle Wynd, on Grassmarket. It was far from desirable back then but always good fun to visit. It aye had the potential to be lovely, though!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hate breaking my needles and being without something to quiet my hands and mind. I now keep two projects with me when travelling so I can avoid the problem. I have also been reading taproot this week. I skipped the soil piece and moved to the other pieces about eggs. I do like it although I wasn't sure living in a desert if it would be applicable. I also am savoring it. Glad your lifelines are working. Amazing what a little piece of yarn can do.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A bit of a cheek - now there's an interesting expression. Do you know its origin? I received my copy of Taproot over a week ago and still haven't had time to sit down to savor it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I ordered Taproot for my sister's birthday. She adores it and I can hardly wait to see it now myself!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh wow, Taproot, bet it is wonderful. Yarn looks lovely...xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. a scarf is always nice to make isn't it! i find that i spend a lot of time online instead of reading books :( i should really change that habit, i know! i didn't subscribe to taproot as i live in germany but i do hope i will have a chance to peek into it at some point, maybe when i visit family in the US.
    happy yarn along day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is so frustrating when you have time to knit and don't have the tools! You are making progress never-the- less! It looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  19. love the shawl. And the issue of Taproot, what a fun read!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It is a truely awful sound when a Brittany needle snaps. No going back. How frustrating. All that time. Lost. I'm very tempted to start a hexi puff blanket. They look so cosy. Glad your shawl is growing again.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would definitely be upset if I lost knitting time! Gosh! Glad you were able to pick up a replacement, though, and the knitting continued.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yay for Taproot arriving, mine arrived last week and I have read it cover to cover already, loce it!

    Love your yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  23. The weather has been glorious and ideal for sitting quietly knitting ,especially at that special time,late afternoon ,just before everyone arrives home,looking for their dinner.
    Actually,its taken 3 years,but finally,finally managed to shove,chop,shuggle the last of the roots from an old tree,which used to block our window-hurrah !So I've been working closely with the soil this week. Downloaded a song,from a CD, (free with Hubby's music magazine) and just played it on repeat the whole time ,while cajoling the tree,could'nt get it out of my head.If you get a chance Fleet Foxes (white winter hymnal ).Not sure what its about but love it !

    ReplyDelete
  24. My knitting has required too much ripping out lately too -- frustrating isn't it? Your shawl is looking lovely though. And I've been on the fence about ordering Taproot, but if it contains an evocative article about soil, I think I must have it ;).
    Blessings,
    G

    ReplyDelete
  25. oh dear, it's good you were able to finally get to a shop, i might have cried. :)
    your shawl is looking pretty, the pattern is a nice one (i made it a few years ago) and yes, thank goodness for lifelines! enjoy your fair weather.

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for visiting me. I love to read your thoughts and appreciate each one. I will respond to comments and queries here, so please check back xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...