Tuesday 20 August 2013

My day in cups of tea.


I love tea - I drink rather a lot of it. Too much, probably, but never mind - fancy a cup?
I am usually first up. I make my way to the kitchen, put the kettle on and have my first mug of the day looking out on the morning. I love Clipper organic tea and have used it for years - a good honest brew. Milk, no sugar.


Still sipping, I step into my wellies and wander outside to give the hens their breakfast. They are always so ravenously hungry, they make me smile. I watch them pecking their pellets frantically as I finish my tea, although it is now a bit cold.



Back inside, I make a fresh mug. I never usually bother about a teapot - just swish the teabag round the cup until it looks the right colour. Time to make James's packed lunch for school, and John is now up and about, so he has his first cup of the day too.


Breakfast time and my third cup of the morning! Ach well - I have been up for a while by now.



So - James is off to school, morning chores are done, the washing machine is humming away, John is back in from the croft and we sit down for a wee planning meeting, Cup of coffee this time (instant) - usually my only coffee of the day. I look forward to this mid morning break - a chance to breathe out and to catch up with each other. We are thinking about building a stone shed, so we talk around our various ideas and make some plans.


Break over and back to work - I am catching up on some paperwork, and doing a bit of decluttering as I go along. But then - a visitor! A newly retired friend from the next village calls in to have a look at the polytunnel. Kettle goes back on, and a pot of tea for three is soon ready. Oh yes, we break out the shortbread too! Nice chat, and then we have a good wander round the plot, discussing growing and gardening plans - perfect diversion.


After lunch, I take my tea out into the poly tunnel to sort out some seeds I want to sow before Winter. I somehow manage to get some compost in the cup, so it kind of loses its appeal. I cant spend too much time in here, though, because I need to help John with the sheep.


We have two sheep that still need to be sheared, and lambs to be marked and tagged. Also, John noticed earlier that one of the ewes was limping a bit, so they can all have their feet checked. A fair bit of work ahead...


Phew! Job done, and I collapse on the couch with a reviving mug of tea in my purple stained hands.There wasn't anything obvious with the limping ewe - I trimmed and cleaned her foot and we'll keep an eye on her for a day or two.
 It is four o'clock already - James is home, so I enjoy catching up on his day and overseeing the homework before beginning preparations for dinner.  This will likely be my last tea of the day. I find that if I drink it in the evening, I take a long time to get to sleep at night. It is water from now until bedtime.


The end of the day - dinner over, dishes washed, story told, James asleep -  and time for me to settle down with a nightcap. A cup of No-caf, preferably made by my husband, and some gentle reading before bed calls.

The Simple Things is a lovely magazine, and they do a feature where they interview a person about their day in cups of tea. I liked this idea and thought I would shamelessly apply it to myself. I hope you enjoyed it. Pop round for a cuppa anytime xx

37 comments:

  1. Anonymous20/8/13 23:32

    I enjoyed your day in tea, I was an avid tea drinker for a long long time but had to give it up, I miss it so much, mine was Red Rose, milk and 1 sugar please,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love tea as well! Your hens and sheep are delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a lot of tea! I enjoyed being with you through the day. I drink three cups of coffee in the morning sugar no cream, then water until after dinner. That's when I break out my green decaf tea- one cup only :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous21/8/13 00:54

    Gorgeous! I love the way you have lead us through your morning.. Yes I like tea, all sorts... and coffee also.
    I know I would love a cuppa in your neck of the world.. it looks fun and enchanting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous21/8/13 00:55

    You even made paper work look interesting... I'm smiling
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely post. I drink herbal rather than 'real' tea and often it is cold by the time I finish it, if I can find it that is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes -,lol - managing to finish a cup while it is still warm is quite a feat here! I am not keen on the herbal and fruit teas - they don't quite do it for me xx

      Delete
  7. If I ever make it to Lewis, I'd love to pop 'round. I'll even bring some homemade shortbread and scones :-) And I know an animal-mad 13 yo that would gladly help with the sheep!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A really great post, lovely to see your day laid out in cups of tea. I only have one or two cups a day, which I usually forget to drink until they're cold, so if I did such a post it would be pretty short I think!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this view of your day. I'm another tea addict! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great perspective! And what a view from your kitchen window!

    ReplyDelete
  11. From one tea drinker to another - love this post! Although I am just as much a coffee drinker too but like you only allow myself one cup mid morning. I really look forward to that and make an effort to sit and relish drinking it! Unfortunately most cups of tea I make are usually drunk on the run unless I have company! Thanks for sharing your day in tea! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another tea drinker here - never been known to refuse a cup, so thank you, milk, no sugar for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoyed every cup! Well maybe not the compost one :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. And I thought I loved tea! You've got me beaten.

    I love your photos (thanks for explaining about the sheep - I was wondering why they had blue on them).

    Wishing you a lovely day.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. For some strange reason, I drink much more tea in Autumn and Winter, than during the other half of the year. I do like the idea of having time to brew a pot of loose tea (preferably to share with friends) but admit to going the teabag in a mug version, too.

    Each of your tea interludes looks so fine. You've a fine way to measure a day. And evening.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes I did enjoy it! I just swish the teabag in my mug too, unless there is more than 2 to tea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fab post....I'm off to stick the kettle on now :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous21/8/13 17:10

    Enjoying a cup of delicious Clipper Tea, the big bright orange one from Beaminster where we live, whilst I read my Twitter feed, this one paticularly caught my imagination and if you don't mind, think I will borrow the idea too!
    Have a fun weekend, we are off to our local Agricultural Show tomorrow, which will be amazing! My husband is compering the live food demos and I am just a showgoer this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi - thanks for the lovely comment. Hope you have a great day at the show. Would love to see your day in cups of tea - do link back when you have posted it xxx

      Delete
  19. That is a whole lotta tea! I do like traidcraft one cup tea but my other go to favourites are peppermint and fennel. I do allow myself one cup of filter coffee, the smell is just so comforting.

    Thanks for sharing and i'm glad I managed to pop by. Grand-daughter and her mummy have moved back with my parents, so this end is less chaotic and we are slowly working towards a new rhythm as Sara moves out in September for Sheffield Uni to study Landscape Architecture.

    Much love to you

    San xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi San! Give Sarah our best wishes. I am sure she will do really well at Sheffield. I was thinking of her when picking the black currants xxx

      Delete
  20. I love this idea for a post. I've seen the "My day in cups of tea" in The Simple Things too, and thought it would make a good post, but I've not got around to it yet. I never remember to take photographs at the right moment!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a great post! I'm so worried about you not sleeping well with all that tea, though! :) Thank you for bringing us on a journey of tea and cups in the course of your day. Love this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Paula - don't worry. I rarely have caffeine from mid afternoon onwards. Sleep is never an issue xxx

      Delete
  22. Thanks for all your lovely comments. I suppose I am a fairly hardcore tea drinker in these caffeine- free times! Ah well...
    I think this is a great idea for a post, and if you decide to do your own, please share it with us. xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. I always have a cup of tea on the go and I'm addicted to Chai. I have two before I am officially 'awake' in the morning and any excuse during the day calls for one! Much love x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh i do like a chai too, sometimes x

      Delete
  24. That was really lovely, enjoyed going through the day with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. That was really lovely, enjoyed going through the day with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. this was such a fun post to read jacqui! i had to acquire a taste for tea, my love is coffee, but i don't drink it anymore, just one cup of decaf a day, then it's rooibos. you are such a hard worker, you need your tea!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm a tea drinker too, my husband is a coffee drinker mainly but I love my tea. A lovely post. I hope you get featured in that magazine, looks lovely. Maybe I'll get a copy sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hmm, I want to write this post too.....trouble is with a newborn I've got a backlog of posts I want to write!I really enjoyed this tea trip of yours though1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on your new babe, Henrietta. Enjoy these special days. xx

      Delete
  29. Thanks again for your warm response to my post - it was lovely. Wish I could have you all round for a cup xx

    ReplyDelete
  30. Loved following your day with the cups of tea. Mine are mixed. I start with a cup of green tea..no sugar, no milk. Then I make a pot of half decaf/half regular coffee. That goes on until the coffee is gone, then back to decaf tea in the evening. Are you laughing?

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for visiting me. I love to read your thoughts and appreciate each one. I will respond to comments and queries here, so please check back xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...