Friday 21 January 2011

The Journey


Leaving Lothian on a frosty morning, we are soon passing the Wallace Monument in Stirling,  and on to Perth, to the A9, where, for me, the journey really begins.  Sharing the back seat with a boy and his otter, knitting on my knee, and a long road ahead.
The Ruthven barracks flash by, as we head past the Cairngorms, forestry plantations hiding our view, until - Inverness at last!  Over the Kessock bridge, we see the boats resting in the marina, sleeping until warmer, kinder weather tempts their owners back to the water.
Turning our faces West now, we look out for the beehives at the roadside in Contin, and before we know it, the An Teallach ridge* is in front of us.  The ferry arrives early, and  soon we are heading out over The Minch, towards Stornoway.

And as we arrive at the croft, that glorious moon rises over the house to welcome us home again. 

* I think it is An Teallach, but my mountain spotting abilities are very poor.

9 comments:

  1. What a beautiful journey, and rewarding end, have fun, hope it's not too cold up there...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gorgeous! And I spotted that otter right away! Love it! Love the mosaic and the description of the journey and a wonderful Welcome Home from the moon-just beautiful!
    Sending you good mojo for getting settled back in this weekend!
    meggs
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, journeying on different levels and back home! Happy settling in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely, thankyou for sharing your journey x
    Parcel on it's way to you there soon xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely views. Hope your settling in ok xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous22/1/11 11:50

    That looks like a lovely journey. You can't beat Scotland for winter scenery. I'm looking forward to hearing how you all are settling in. Gun tèid gu math leibh / Hope all goes well for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome home! Your landmarks as far as Inverness are our landmarks too as we journey up the A9.
    Your range could be An Teallach, but as you see from here I'm not too good on that area: http://occasionalscotland.blogspot.com/2009/05/scenic-sunday-cycling-project-mystery.html

    Best wishes for a fun day unpacking! I'm sure it will be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful post, I love the collage of views, some Iv'e seen, some I haven't, but all I would like to see more often. Somehow travelling accross Scotland doesn't seem to tax me like travelling here. I love the snuggled up otter, where did he come from?
    And the picture of the moon is breathtaking, I have tried and failed to capture such a moon, I love it!
    Hope you have a great weekend settling in home.
    Blessings, Liz

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely pictures and tales of your journey, so glad everything went well.

    We've been watching The Island Parish, the scenery is outstanding and the locals seem a lovely bunch.

    Blessings to you all
    San and co xx

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for visiting me. I love to read your thoughts and appreciate each one. I will respond to comments and queries here, so please check back xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...