Wednesday 5 January 2011

What lies beneath

After weeks of snow cover and freezing cold weather, the wind has changed just a little, and there are 15 more minutes of light..  The earth has shed her white gown for now, and the greens and browns are really quite startling to see. I took a little wander around to see what lay beneath.  Silently, silently, life has been stretching and yawning under that snowy blanket.
The lilac tree always shows her buds early.  Look at that - definitely a green tinge there, don't you think?

Daffodils are beginning to stir - just putting a toe out from beneath the covers.

Crocus, nice and sheltered by the door, are a little bolder.

and the brave parsley makes a glorious comeback!

As things ever so slowly begin to waken, we begin to make plans for our growing.  This morning we received the soil analysis for the croft land.  A wee bit acid, but not too much, and easily remedied with some local shell sand. One of our first tasks on our return will be to harvest seaweed to enrich the soil.  January is the best time to do this as the winter storms have loosened the seaweed from the rocks and it is easier to collect.  
Time now to think of potato varieties and other seeds.  We also want to try growing some native oats, but more on that in a later post. 
I am so looking forward to seeing if there are any spring bulbs in the crofthouse garden too.
We have a couple of weeks still before we head back up again, but the preparation for the journey has begun.

16 comments:

  1. Oh beautiful! I have been discovering similar sights today myself. Little green shoots appearing in the flower bed protected by some of the died down greenery of last year. I love to walk around the garden at this time of year discovering new life and thrilling at the thought of spring and all its beauty. Lots of luck with the seaweed harvest and planning for the growing to come, blessings, Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is amazing after all that bitterly cold weather that suddenly things begin to show signs of life again, things that looked dead to me in my garden have lifted their heads again, although we have lost some plants without doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful time you are now approaching, you can see signs of growth, see daylight lengthen as the next few weeks pass. More winter will come I know but you also know that after this is spring. It is a time of anticipation and planning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you - indeed Winter has returned this morning, as I knew it would. But I have had a glimpse of what will follow, so I am content. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I peeked around yesterday and found signs of spring life, made me think of starting my tomato seeds off - job to do soon me thinks xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dawn - great minds think alike! Tomatoes have been in my thoughts this morning too. Not sure how I will manage them this year though. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blueberries love acidic soil. They're such a great investment. I got mine from Adam's Apples (Talaton plants).www.talatonplants.co.uk/
    It's ever so exciting to see the greenery emerging. We planted hundreds of spring bulbs when we moved here and I'm really hanging out for them to come up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful pictures Jacqui! We're planning this year's planting now too, so exciting xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. How amazing is the spiral of life!!! Snow so thick and deep not that long ago and now, I was so surprised and delighted to see your photos of the new buds everything is looking so wonderful.

    Have a wonderful day my friend. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's so heartening to see, thank you!! I long to see signs of new life round here and you've given me the incentive to put my wellies on and start having a poke around. Nature is such a miracle isn't it. I'm very much looking forward to seeing the things you plant. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi jacqui. It's so great to see you've defrosted some. We got more snow yesterday. I can't believe it. Enjoy your signs of spring and happy crofting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. lovely little shoots of newness xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous6/1/11 19:23

    Amazing that so far north, these signs of Spring are emerging; nothing like that as yet here. I will look forward to hearing how you fare with your edible garden as I have just been engaged to contribute to a professional 'gardening companion' blog and want to cover experiences from all corners of the UK. Best of luck with the seaweed collection -I use liquid seaweed all the time; very good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. See, that just amazed me-but I see you wrote in a comment that winter had returned. But still, like you, seeing those gorgeous shades of green is heartening. Oh I envy you your seaweed fertilizer! Jacqui, am I wrong in thinking your growing season will be shorter now?

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh what a glorious post!
    i can't wait to get me hands and feet muddy in the gardens too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A tantalizing glimpse, before the snow returned last night. I was woken in the night by a fox barking in the garden. I couldn't see it when I looked out, but its prints were clear in the snow.

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for visiting me. I love to read your thoughts and appreciate each one. I will respond to comments and queries here, so please check back xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...