Saturday 8 January 2011

Just another Saturday

Off to a good start with a small mountain of light as a feather pancakes drizzled with maple syrup and a side of crispy bacon (optional).  The recipe for this was adapted from my Christmas present book - A Homemade Life by Molly Wizenberg. (see end of post).


Snow came softly again in the night, covering up that glimpse of Spring.  James was delighted and rushed out to play.


Fortified by their breakfast of pancakes, Kenneth and Louise followed him out to play.  A good 3 inches had fallen, but apparently it was the wrong sort of snow for a snowman! What do I know?

The Postman brought a surprise parcel - a gift for me from a lovely Mama!  Thank you so much Emma - it is beautiful and catches the morning sun just perfectly.  Of course it will be traveling up to the croft with us soon.  Emma is a truly wonderful person, and she blogs about her lovely family and life at Ramblings through Wonderland.  And I know her in real life too :)

 Back indoors, after a long play in the snowy garden, a Lego marathon ensued. A working lunch was eaten while some pretty amazing creations appeared.  Kenneth and Louise played with James all afternoon, giving this mama some much needed breathing space, and knitting time.


And then a lovely meal at the end of the day.  Kenneth heads back to Edinburgh tomorrow - the holidays are really over now.
Just another Saturday, but what a special one it was.


Light as a feather pancakes. (makes - ooh - enough to make you just be able to manage one more)


2 cups self raising flour*
4 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1.5 cups milk
0.5 cup plain yogurt
2 large eggs (separated)
2 oz unsalted butter


Mix dry ingredients
Mix milk and yogurt in separate bowl or jug - add egg whites and whisk until a bit frothy.
Melt the butter and let it cool slightly,then beat in the egg yolks.
Whisk the egg yolk/ butter mixture to the milk/egg white jug.
Add the whole egg/milk mix to the dry ingredients and whisk until just combined. 


That is your pancake batter - ready to cook in your usual style.
I used a quarter cup to measure my batter into the pan.


It seems the trick here, as Molly Wizenberg says, is the mixing of the egg yolks into the melted butter.  Try it and see what you think. 


* Self -raising flour.  I am not sure if American readers use good old SR flour, so you would need to add a raising agent of some sort to your all purpose flour.
 The original recipe in the book is for buckwheat pancakes, and the quantities are
1 1/3 cups all purpose
2/3 buckwheat flour
1 teasp baking powder
1/4 teasp baking soda

Actually I have doubled the recipe here, as the original  made 8-10 pancakes. I would imagine you could use any sort of flour you happen to have about you.  If you try them, do let me know what you think.  i would highly reccommend the book too.  Full of charming wee foody reminiscences of the author's life.  Perfect for dipping into between pancakes. . 

17 comments:

  1. The snow was beautiful out and about, but the centre of Edinburgh today was a quagmire of the wettest slush I've ever seen.

    Yes, sadly the holidays are over. We took our son back through to Glasgow today, and I am missing his presence in the house.

    Funny to see The Long Winter in your reading list just now - I've also been re-reading it with this snowy weather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the suncatcher, and the photo of James in the snow, I wish we could have some more snow down here.... Yes, the holidays are certainly near the end, with my last starting back to uni on Monday :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those pancakes look very yummy, might have to try that recipe - and the book ;-). I would imagine they'd work well with spelt, so may have to try that.
    Had a mooch at your reading list too and saw you have The Intentional Spinner- glad you got that one, such a great book, would love to hear your thoughts on it one day. Does your spinning group start soon when you are back at the croft?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh just realised it's the book by the author of the Orangette blog, some lovely things - will have to see about popping it on my wish list I think.

    Have a lovely week x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh I love little pancakes, we used to have a similar recipe cooked on the top of my mums old range and now I make them on the top of our rayburn. I will have to try your recipe out this week, they do look rather nice! Buckwheat flour is a rather strong taste isn't it, I have tried it before, but I think wheat or spelt flour are a better choice.
    The book looks fab, and such a good price at the mo, might have to treat myself. I got a river cottage hedgerow book for christmas and that has some rather yummy chestnut macaroons in the back, yum!
    As always, your little man looks so angelic, he really is a beautiful little man

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9/1/11 15:25

    What a beautiful gift of a suncatcher! The perfect thing for January when we need to catch all the sun that we can. That pancake recipe looks delicious, and your children all look like such nice people. I'm glad you got a bit of a break too.
    When we have snow that's no good for making snowmen (and even sometimes when it is), we make "snow ice cream". This involves collecting *clean* snow in a plastic cup, leaving room in the cup for stirring. Then a responsible adult pours a spoonful or so of maple syrup on top so that the owner of the cup can mix it in with a spoon, and then eat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard of that book and the author too, it looks like I'll have to add it to my wish list!

    Glad you had such a lovely day
    San x

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was a wonderful Saturday, just he sort I love. I never have the snow but family and food and gathering and playing together plus a gift in the mix it all sounds so wonderful. As does the mix for your pancakes which we call pikelets in NZ.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for your kind words Jacqui :) ...I'm relieved it finally made it to you - I thought it may have been lost in the post! Lovely pics of your family. Have taken down pancake recipe to try out as I have a little boy who loves pancakes! :) Love and Blessings, Emma x

    ReplyDelete
  10. That heart is just lovely. Been making wee pancakes here too, banana ones, must be the weather for them! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, Kenneth is away back now, so definitely over. Louise is Kenneth's girlfriend - a lovely girl.
    Linda - how long was that winter? It really put things into perpective for us
    Christine, I don't think I can be called responsible when it comes to maple syrup :)
    Dawn - I have only been dipping into the IS and I think I won't really appreciate it until I start spinning more competently. Right now I am only treading without yarn. The group will be on the 1st Sat in Feb.

    I think I must have been the only person that hadn't heard of Orangete until a couple of months ago, but it is a lovely book and blog.
    Marilyn - we have pikelets too , but they are like thin yeast crumpets.
    I am not keen on buckwheat flour - it is too strong. I go for wicked White flour in my pancakes. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks like it was a lovely weekend! It is a lovely heart, very symbolic of the weekend too ;)
    Did I read correctly in your comment above you are taking spinning lessons with a group? How fun that would/should be!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a perfect saturday! Those pancakes sound amazing- My husband is usually the pancake maker and come to think of it it's been a few weeks since we've had them- I'll bookmark your recipe for reference!

    ReplyDelete
  14. what a lovely blog!
    greetings from north wales and a guy with a VERY small holding!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mmm, lovely photos.

    You reminded me, we made some vegan pancakes *exactly* like these that were yummy and I forgot to blog about it... ah, next time ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like a perfect saturday to me. I'm going to try your pancakes for dinner tonight. My family loves to have what they call"breakfast dinner". I'll let you know how they taste.

    ReplyDelete
  17. it's okay...i hadn't heard of Orangete 'til i read it here...lol

    (comes from extensive cave-dwelling, y'know)

    xo

    ps. perfect Saturday by my estimation...

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for visiting me. I love to read your thoughts and appreciate each one. I will respond to comments and queries here, so please check back xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...