Wednesday 22 June 2011

Yarn along 6


Another week already!  More knitting and reading to share at Yarn Along with Ginny. 
Well, knitwise, this week, I am scraping the bottom of the barrel, (to disguise my total lack of progress with any of my projects)  Busy busy with croft, family and guests - still unraveling the Manos; still to begin the Pure and Simple cardigan again, and still looking longingly at patterns and yarns that I covet for the future. 
I will share with you all my Millenium tunic - currently languishing in the bottom of the basket.  It is so called because I cast on in that hopeful bright eyed way in the Springtime of the year 2000! I romantically imagined myself pottering around the garden in the autumn of that same year, wearing this cosy sweater. Hmmmm...
The yarn is Wendy naturally Denim DK, a wool and cotton blend, just in case you are interested in old discontinued yarns.  Maybe, maybe... 

Now - the book!  Well I am so glad to have received this book, written by a dear friend and one of my most favourite people in the world.  The Mystic Cookfire, by Veronika Robinson.  To call it a recipe book is doing it an injustice, but essentially that is what it is. A blend of  recipes from the kitchen at The Mother Magazine camps, and others of her own family favourites, as well as thoughts about food - growing, cooking, buying and eating.  I have enjoyed many of these wonderful meals, and cooked some in the camp kitchen, so I can vouch for the freshness, goodness and all round deliciousness contained herein.  It is also a true celebration of food - food for the soul as well as our bodies.It is also about being in contact with our inner mother, creating a sacred space around and in us, as we cook and provide nourishment for ourselves and our loved ones - a meditation indeed. The book is beautifully illustrated by Sara Simon - another amazing woman that I am proud to know. 
Veronika edits and produces The Mother magazine along with her lovely husband, Paul, and she blogs here.

Do drop over and visit Small Things and share in all the delicious knitting and reading that is going on
I am off to make the Bay and Onion soup recipe for lunch. xx

16 comments:

  1. Oh my, your book is right up my alley. I do love to just sit and read recipes and anything dealing with food! Enjoy your soup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello lovely, I am back in blog land again. That book looks quite interesting, I may have to investigate when I get more organised.
    V
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bay and onion soup sounds lovely, I have a lovely Bay bush that is producing far more than I can manage, soup would be a great way to use some.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy the soup, sounds lovely x

    ReplyDelete
  5. That book looks wonderful! It seems like one I might have a hard time getting my hands on. Sounds like it's worth it, though!

    The Millenium tunic....you crack me up! We all have the grandest of intentions don't we? Perhaps the autumn of 2011 is the autumn for it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That book looks wonderful! It seems like one I might have a hard time getting my hands on. Sounds like it's worth it, though!

    The Millenium tunic....you crack me up! We all have the grandest of intentions don't we? Perhaps the autumn of 2011 is the autumn for it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I keep meaning to order my copy of Mystic Cookfire.

    I suppose the good thing about taking so long in knitting a top for an adult is that they don't change that much. We have jumpers here that were knitted for one child, but actually fitted the next one down by the time they were finished!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the tweedy look of your yarn! I hope it is as soft as it looks :) The cookbook looks really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The millennium tunic... I need to think of a clever name for all of my unfinished projects. Gives them a bit of dignity.

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok, I need that book!
    Love the sound of your soup. I love soups!
    Nice wool!
    Much love.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need that book! I know my Mom would also enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh the book does sound wonderful!! And I know what you mean about not getting much done, seems to be common around here too. I blame season changes and summer excitement!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jacqui ~ I've got tears in my eyes! ;-) Thank you. Happy eating.
    love, v

    ReplyDelete
  14. Have been wondering about the book, the recipes on the blog look delectable!

    Have also managed to join Ginny second week running!

    Are you managing to have lovely weather cos all we have is grey skies and rain! If you do happen to see Mr sunshine and Mr Blue Skies, send them our way will you?!!!

    Hugs San xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think all of us crafters have something of that sort lurking in the bottom of our cupboards and I do recall how good it feels when one gets finished so good luck with the tunic.And thanks for the link to the magazine

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh that Manos! Good for you for sticking with untangling it.
    That book sounds amazing! I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for visiting me. I love to read your thoughts and appreciate each one. I will respond to comments and queries here, so please check back xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...