Tuesday 5 July 2011

A grand day out


July is show season here on Lewis.  Every week from now until August there is a local show somewhere. The first of these is the Uig Gala, held on the machair by the stunning Reef beach .  What a setting - and what a glorious day!


There was some great food - real fast food - herrings and shellfish fresh from the sea.  Then you could fit in a work out and make your own smoothie at the same time!

If you were feeling very energetic, there was always the hill race.  Or maybe just watch the sheep racing instead.


There was a Crofter's pentathlon, which involved tough gruelling events such as peat throwing, potato lifting, harrow pulling, and this one - pulling in a salmon net, bagging it, and running up the slippery slope.  Things all crofters become adept at - although I don't even imagine that I could keep up with these young lads.


Lots for the children - a very good Punch and Judy show, Thomas and the quad bike, and, of course, it wouldn't be a Lewis event without the Hebrides Alpha bouncy castle.



But the star of the show was the wonderful beach.  Sigh - will I ever tire of the beaches here?  I don't think so somehow. James met up with a friend from Croileagan and they spent ages filling up an old bucket with sand and them emptying it out again. Such important work, to be sure.



And just to say a belated Happy Independence Day to all my US friends. Hope you all had a wonderful holiday. Some of the local sheep seemed to be celebrating too. xx

21 comments:

  1. I wish I was there, it looked great fun.
    V
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jacqui...what a fun day! The beaches really are breathtaking. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though I will probably never get to your neck of the woods (unfortunately), I am experiencing it vicariously through your photographs. So thank you very much for inviting me to the show. How fabulous!
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely lovely beach, how I wish I was there now with the boys. How fantastic to have events all through summer to visit. As for the smoothie bike, I do know a fabulous company that hire out smoothie bikes with the blender on the front so at least you can see what you are doing. :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful photos Jacqui xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the whole area where you live is just grand! Your pictures alway make me want to pack up and move! Hope your Tuesday is a great one.xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so blessed to be where you are, how could you ever tire of such beautiful beaches?

    Blessings San and all xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. i have to confess to being a bit of a beach snob - i grew up with North Sea beaches and then spent years on the Florida coast....i have standards. lol. so yeah, i understand the beach thing. {i love the look of yours...}

    looks like a marvelous time!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. The beaches are stunning and I'll never tire of them. Whenever we have guests over we run them down to one of the "poorer" beaches in Point and listen to the ooohs and ahhas, then nip down to Uig to show them a proper beach.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It all looks like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, I don't think that I would have been able to concentrate on any of the festivities (although they do look captivating!) for all of the natural beauty. The terrain is so very different from where I live! What an amazing and creative God...

    Thank you for the well wishes. I did have a wonderful Independence day celebration. And what an honor to see the sheep in our colors for this day! ;)

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love, love, love shows! On the beach? How wonderful.
    Much love.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful beach! all that white sand and so clean.If i close my eyes i can hear the sea, birds and childrens laughter.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jacqui, I have to agree with others stating that your photos and your words make me want to pack and move to UK...to where you are! Such fun and beauty. Fitting in a workout AND a smoothie is what its all about :).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lol - thank you everyone. I think if I didn't already live here , these images would certainly tempt me. I give
    thanks everyday for being here - even on days like today when it is drizzly and windy. xx
    Tony - it is such a buzz to do that - I love the delicious feeling, knowing how dazzled guests are at the sight of those vistas. Maybe we will bump into each other on Saturday at Aird?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much for the beautiful photos. You live in such a beautiful place!!! Thanks for the patriotic sheep.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous7/7/11 14:35

    That looks like great fun - thank you for sharing! I almost expected to see Katie Morag and Alecina the sheep too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. wonderful photographs! Looks like such fun! I must confess I haven't been to the beach yet this summer...weird I know...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I totally LOVE that smoothie bike! What fun!

    :)Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous8/7/11 20:51

    I would so love to be in your world about now. Cool, fresh, invigorating, crammed-to-the-gills-with-Old Worlde Charm. My world is hot, arid, and dehydrating until next October. Regardless, I pore over the knitters’ blogs and strand that Hebredian & Shetland wool into Fair Isle things. I just love your blog. Thank you !

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great community day out! But hill races always make me feel exhausted just watching them.

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for visiting me. I love to read your thoughts and appreciate each one. I will respond to comments and queries here, so please check back xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...