Friday 30 April 2010

Mother to Mother


This afternoon I was working on my own at the bottom of the garden, planting out my summer cabbage and cauliflower, when Mrs. Blackbird came and sat chirping on the fence.  I stopped work and said hello to her.  I knew that she and her mate were very busy with a nest somewhere, but I didn't know where it was.   I asked her how she was and she chirped back.  So I said how busy she must be, she agreed.  I  enquired as to how many babies she was having and she chirped 3 times.  We had a lovely conversation for a few minutes, about children and eggs, and then I asked if she would stay and allow me to take her photograph.  She chirped and wagged her tail, but when I went to fetch my camera (always an essential garden tool) she flew straight into the holly hedge.
I thought I had lost my chance, but she stayed there very still, so I crept up and peered through the fairly dense and prickly branches.  A bright eye stared back at me - can you see her? How gracious of her to invite me to see her nest - thank you dear Mother Blackbird..
Just a little bit of magic in the air.  Beltane blessings to you all xx

9 comments:

  1. oh, how wonderful to see!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a blackbird mama in our garden too! Brightest Beltane Blessings XXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a lovely conversation. I love that photo with her just peeking out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful photo - and a lovely story too xxx

    Beltane blessings to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love and many, many blessings to you, wonderful Mama.
    Please pass on my love to your beautiufl family.
    Enjoy the weekend
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2/5/10 00:23

    That photo is adorable, and I loved your story. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful. And what a privilege.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great story and great photo! (i'm so envious). Beltane blessings to you and yours too Jacqui!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this post-- reminds me of one of my favorite books The Secret Garden. That is the most amazing bird photo I've seen lately!

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for visiting me. I love to read your thoughts and appreciate each one. I will respond to comments and queries here, so please check back xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...