Wednesday 30 November 2011

A Delicious Fruit Cheese

I have decided to make some foody gifts for neighbours this Christmas. One of the items going in the bag/basket/box (haven't worked that out yet) will be a fruit cheese.  This is a delicious confection - basically a very reduced and concentrated jelly, slices of which are delicious served with cheese (or eaten on it's own). This is a very versatile recipe and I would imagine most fruit would work well.  I made mine with apples and pears, adding a few cloves for some Christmas flavour.


 Chop your chosen fruit up and place in a large heavy pan, adding enough water to just cover.  Bring to boil and simmer until the fruit is soft and pulpy. I used 2 kg of fruit, but the exact amount doesn't really matter, as you weigh the pulp again later.


Press the fruit through a sieve (a plastic one is best) and then weigh the pulp. Return to your cleaned pan and add the same weight of granulated sugar.


Then you just let it simmer and bubble away until it is reduced to a glorious golden brown lava.  It is ready when you can draw your spoon through the cheese, and it leaves a clean line on the bottom of the pan for a second or two. About an hour or so.



Pour into hot jars or moulds, brushed with a little glycerine.  I had been collecting pretty china teacups from the charity shop, to use as the containers for my fruit cheese. Those little white ramekin dishes would look good too.


When filled, seal over the cheese with melted food grade wax.  I got mine from here.  Once this has hardened, the fruit cheese will last for a year.  I did this, only because I am giving these away as gifts, but you can also seal with those waxed discs and covers you get for preserve making.


Wrapped up and ready to go.


Ideally it should be left to mature for 4 - 6 weeks, but, let's just have a little taste - just to see, shall we?


A nice bit of cheddar and a small snifter of sloe gin to accompany it - the perfect appetiser.

I think this would work very well with cranberries - a slice of cranberry fruit cheese along with the Christmas turkey would be very pleasant indeed.

29 comments:

  1. Jacqui these look great, I've often seen recipes for fruit cheese but never thought about making them; you've changed my mind! Hope you enjoyed that gin ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your neighbours will be treated well with gifts such as these. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so pretty in the tea cups, lovely gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that "glorious golden brown lava" lol!
    It looks wonderful Jacqui and I love the idea of using pretty tea cups!
    Yum Yum!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh, what seriously lucky neighbours, and the teacups look very retrochic. Love the new winter blag banner btw.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look beautiful (and delicious!) in the cups.
    I'd never even heard of fruit cheese until now.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous idea! I have never heard of fruit cheese, kind of like a jelly I think. [?] I will be doing this for sure.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I truly wished that I lived in your neighborhood. That look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummeeee. Will get the head chef to have a go at these.

    ReplyDelete
  10. yum yum yum, mama those are looking so good.
    oh to be putting my feet up by the fire with you ( loving that polish btw ) and indulging in alittle spiced something
    hugs to all x

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fantastic food gift, the fruit chees looks so pretty in the china cup. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jacqui, this is just lovely in every way...homemade, thrifted (and pretty!) containers, and delicious I am sure.

    I hope that I can find a quiet window of time in the next few weeks to try it myself.

    So glad you shared this,

    Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! what a lovely idea. I made some
    fruit cheese last year with windfall apples. I love your idea of gifting it in those beautiful teacups. You are one clever lady!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic gift idea! I like that recipe. So easy to follow. I shall make some for our cheese evenings.

    ReplyDelete
  15. ohhhh. now that does look yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. ohhhh. now that does look yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fabulous gift idea and it looks delicious. Hope there's a competition coming up soon Jacqui ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. the jelly looks lovely. you have inspired me to get organized and hopefully do some homemade gifts myself this Christmas. what a nice thought for your neighbours and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You always have such fun stuff on here. I love your space! Barefoot mama

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous1/12/11 14:03

    In my---you learn something new every day column---fruit cheese! I've never heard of this before, but I just love the idea and the presentation, and being a very good "copy cat", I think I'll try some!! Thank you for the inspiration!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a lovely idea. I have just picked up a vintage teaset for a bargain, and I am going to be making candles (from organic soya wax), but now I will be looking out for more little cups. This would be a nice 'first-foot' too don't you think?
    V
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous1/12/11 23:38

    You had me at fruit cheese. What a delightful idea! I like making jellies, but I can't have the sugar. Here's a way I can enjoy the process and give away the results. (This is a bit more difficult with cookies!)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like the idea of sloe gin with it!!
    Now add a couple of oatcakes and some Caboc from Orkney.....

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you all - I would love to know how you get on with it. It is really a version of membrillo - the Spanish quince paste.
    We have had such wonderful help and support from our neighbours over the last year, so they deserve a big thank you. This is only a small token in comparison.
    Caboc is nice,GZ, but I am loving Isle of Mull cheddar right now.
    V - i have seen lovely tea cup candles too - but they would be nice filled with any sweets or cookies too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh I can just taste it, how lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Never heard of fruit cheese, but I have heard of spreadable fruit butters that you place atop cheese. Of course, in my opinion, cheese is always a good thing even by itself :) We are cheeseaholics - don't know if that's good or bad. Do you have a recipe to share? And when you say glycerin, are you speaking of the liquid? Does it act as a 'sealant' on top?

    I love the tea cup idea! That's a wonderful container.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, they look delightful :) - great idea :)

    Claire xox

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for visiting me. I love to read your thoughts and appreciate each one. I will respond to comments and queries here, so please check back xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...