Tuesday 31 May 2011

Chocolate Chip Cookies


We made the most yummiest goodest chocolate chip cookies in the world yesterday!  James said so, therefore it must be true.  In fact they were jolly nice - that crispy yet chewy way that you often get in a bought cookies, but without the list of additives as long as your arm.  Perfect.

So they weren't perfectly round and even.  A good lesson for Mama in letting go -  they are only chocolate chip cookies for goodness sake -even if they are the yummiest goodest ones in the world.  So I let go.....

And they turned out just perfectly.

Here is the recipe should you feel so inclined.

The Yummiest Goodest Chocolate Chip Cookies in the World.

8 oz soft butter
8 oz caster sugar (they can be very sweet so feel free to add less)
1 large egg yolk
8 oz plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
6 oz (approx) chocolate (either ready made chips or a chopped up bar - dark, milk, white or all 3 even)

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy
Sift in dry ingredients and work into a dough
Add chocolate chips.

Turn out onto floured surface and make a cylinder shape. (I find it easier to flour some baking parchment or clingfilm and roll it up that way.  Dimensions vary according to you taste, but remember it has to fit into your fridge)
Chill for 30 mins at least. (We didn't wait that long, but it is easier to slice up if it is chilled and firm)
Cut into 1/2 inch slices place on greased trays.  bake at 170 C / 350 F  Gas 3 for about 20 mins.
When cookies start to turn brown around edges they are done.
Lift off very carefully onto a wire rack.  They will be very soft and fragile, but will soon crisp up, retaining that slightly squishy middle. ( Yes - I know the feeling well.)

You can add all sorts of flavourings  - grated orange zest is good - lovely with chocolate.  Replace a tablespoon of flour with a tblsp cocoa for double choc chip.  Nuts - yes! Ginger - why not?

This recipe makes lots and lots, but you don't have to bake them right away.  Slice them and open freeze on trays, and then decant into bags.  Let them thaw for about 10 mins before baking as above.


Alternatively - you can eat them straight from the bowl.


Let me know if you try them, and what goodies you add.  I am adding this to my new recipe page at the top.  It is a bit random right now, as I trawl through the blog to find them, but it's coming along. Tags are such a good idea - wish I had used them. xx

14 comments:

  1. Ooooh they sound lovely. Lazy day here recovering from the weekend, so we may do a spot of cookie baking too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Homemade are the best biscuits in the world, yesterday my youngest son made without help a huge batch of gingernut cookies with stem ginger in, amazingly they haven't all gone yet! I'll put him onto choc chip cookies next :)
    Sue Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic, I love trying new cookie recipes thanks Jacqui! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am still dieting, and after splurging on A's birthday cake at the weekend, sweet treats are off the menu. Shame though, these would go perfectly with a steaming hot cuppa.
    V
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love things that are goodest or bestest or even gooderer or betterest they always taste divine. If children could teach us adults hmmmmmmmmm the lessons we would learn. When my wife comes in I am showing her the recipe and then we need some children to show us how to bake them.............. best call the grand kids. have a good week. XXX Don

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy! I shall drool from afar and good job too since i'm carb free at the mo!!!

    Well done James for being a great helper and of course licking the bowl/spoon is the best bit!!

    San x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! These look wonderful. I love the idea of orange zest...mmm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, that just completely killed my diet cereal I had for lunch. LOL!
    Don't tell anyone, but I have cookies for breakfast! :)
    Looks like you had quite a busy weekend and I hope you have a great week!
    meggs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Delicious home-made biscuits. My mouth is watering!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey meggs - we had cookies for breakfast too - lol
    HFoJ - i love chocolate and orange flavours.
    San - it's a hard job,but someone's got to do it. it would have to be me otherwise
    Thanks cheesecake of the month - nice site, but too far away from here sadly.
    Don - I loved your comment. i adore all those words - they can only be used by boys of a certain age though. Hope you are keeping betterer. xx
    Hi Val - well you know where to find the recipe when you are off the wagon. That was a special cake though. x
    Devonmama - great - love to know how you got on. xx
    Sue - brilliant - there will be cookies for breakfast in your house too then. x
    Joxy - glad you had a good weekend and hope you enjoyed any cookies that may have happened today. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I can comment again, did something change?
    Cookie recipe sounds delicious, have to give it a go at the weekend.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I qualify on the certain age bit cos I am betterist at saying them and when I growd up I will be the bestist at being all growd up enough. ..........MY grandson takes the responsible adult role when he is with my sister-in-law he is five and can be heard to tell her "you have to hold my hand Jenny" and "LOOK BOTH WAYS BEFORE YOU CROSS" it creases us up but even at five he KNOWS she is dappy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those cookies look so deliciously chewy. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog till Monday night and I'd love it if you'd come by and link your cookies up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/06/sweets-for-saturday-20.html

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for visiting me. I love to read your thoughts and appreciate each one. I will respond to comments and queries here, so please check back xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...