Tuesday 6 September 2011

Lumberjack cake


My original title for this post was "I'm a lumberjack and I'm a cake", but I thought that was just too groan inducing, so I will just give you the recipe instead.  This is such a delicous and filling cake - and it certainly doesn't deserve to be the focus of my bad attempt at a pun.
The recipe comes from The River Cottage Cake Handbook, by the very lovely and gentle Pam Corbin.  For once I actually had all the ingredients called for, so no tweakery necessary today.


Grate two eating apples - these are Discovery, and I left the skin on.


Add 250g  (9oz) chopped dates to the apples and mix together.


Sprinkle over 1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda and add 250 ml (8 fl oz) boiling water/
Set aside until warm.


Then beat 125g (4 oz) soft butter and 175 g (6 oz) light soft brown sugar until light and fluffy
Beat in 1 egg
Add the apple and date mixture including the liquid and mix well
Sift in 150g (5 oz) plain flour with a good pinch of ground cloves and salt added
Fold together gently
The mixture will be very sloppy, but Pam says that is just fine.

Pour into a prepared tin - sorry forgot to mention that a 18cm (7") square (mine was 19cm) or a 20cm (8") round tin, greased and lined is required.
I also forgot to take photographs of the buttery, sugary, floury, mixy bit, but you can imagine what that looks like, can't you?  This was what the bowl looked like at the end.



And my glamorous assistant took care of the rest.


Bake @ 180c, 350f, or Gas mark 4 for 40 minutes, until firm to touch.

While it is baking, make up the topping.


In a saucepan, melt together 75 g (3 oz) butter, 75g  soft brown sugar (Pam says either light or dark!),
 60g (2 oz) dessicated coconut and 75 ml (5 Tblsp) milk


When the cake is cooked, spread the coconut topping over the cake and bake again for another 25 mins.


Leave the cake to cool in the tin and then turn out.  Do try and stop yourself from picking at the edges, as it cools - although I certainly couldn't.


So there we have it!  Moist, dense, chewy, soft, puddingy, appley, coconutty, totally deliciously -
 Lumberjack cake.


I think it would have gone well as a dessert with ice cream, if it had lasted long enough!

Eta:  I was thinking about this again last night - I'm not the only person to think about cakes all the time, surely?  Anyway, I had an idea that it might work beautifully with pear and dried blueberries maybe with a slight gingery hit or with dried apricots, apple and cinnamon??

23 comments:

  1. I am in heaven at the thought of eating that. Thank you, I will be making that some time soon!
    Much love

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious! I may just have to try that before I try to lose a bit of weight ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This cake looks and sounds fabulous, Thank you! YUM

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually have everything to make this...even the dates. How perfect with a hot cup of tea as the days get shorter and the air a tinge cooler! This is going on my meal planner list!xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow-looks and sounds heavenly and I'll bet the house smelled intoxicating too.
    mmmmmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks and sounds delicious! I'm going to have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If it's anything like the Lumberjack cake that I make, it will sustain a person doing hard physical work for 8 hours. Good value in my books, not just a cake.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks so good, I will have to try it using buckwheat flour,since my hubby can't have wheat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yum, I'm a fan of lumberjack cake but have never had a recipe so thanks for sharing. I love your instructions to try to stop picking at it. I don't think I could help myself!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like a marvelous cake! (I really like your original title too!...going away humming it!) :D
    Cheers,
    Cate

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW - this looks amazing. And 'I'm a lumberjack and I'm a cake' = hilarious. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I, too, think about cakes all the time...to cure myself I've started making chutneys, pickles and jams instead! Got up early today to make courgette and lemon jam, and cauliflower pickle. Last week made marrow, apple and ginger chutney. Tomorrow is carrot and cinnamon jam. Cake? what cake? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I must make that cake **now***! Thanks for sharing Jacqui!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I don't know, I kinda like the would be title, quite witty. And lumberjack cake, I just love it and I'm going to give the recipe a go, and I agree that the variation could be good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'll have to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A fabulous fall cake! I'm so glad you shared this one. I love broiled toppings but they are usually on a plain white sugar cake. Judging from your glamorous assistant, I'm gonna love this one!

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  17. That cake looks so good, I am a real fan of Hugh but I have been putting off buying THAT bnook because I'm trying to loose a few pounds to I can fit into my trousers!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sounds so yummy! I might have to give it a whirl today!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I never post on food blog posts without giving some recipe a try :)
    Sooo... take a look yourself, what I have to an afternoon tea today.
    Thank you!
    And, I thought, I'll ask, just in case. Are the dates you use fresh? I presumed, not, thinking of the place you live, and so I took desiccated ones.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Jacqui,
    I just had to let you know that I made Lumberjack cake this weekend for Canadian Thanksgiving. I live, for real, in the forests of British Columbia, next to the Mighty Columbia River. Your cake was a hit - I'm glad I doubled the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Quinn - so glad to think you made the cake and happy that it was enjoyed. xxx

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for visiting me. I love to read your thoughts and appreciate each one. I will respond to comments and queries here, so please check back xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...