Friday 30 September 2011

A Wee Road Trip


Lets have a trip to another country for a change, shall we?  Over the border into - na Hearadh (Harris).  Driving into those mountains that we look towards everyday -  getting up close and personal to the Cailleach na Mointeach, or The Sleeping Beauty as she is also known, as we head South through Lewis.




Into Harris now, climbing up the mountainous road, that always reminds me of driving around Crete - especially on a day like this. Lets stop here and take in the view up to the head of Loch Seaforth.


Another stop before we begin our descent into Tarbert.  Perhaps a better view of this can be seen in the previous post.


Moving along the road now - yellow snow poles to guide our way.


And then we arrive in the harbour village of Tarbert.  Stopping in at the Harris Tweed shop there.


The MV Herbrides is just arriving from Uig in Skye with it's load of passengers.  It looks for all the world as if it is going to swallow that lovely red and white motor launch.


The sea is so calm and blue today - everything is indeed in harmony.

Turning for home now, we stop just by Bunavoneadar to admire this stunning view, before heading into the mountain pass.

Looking back the way from a sunken parking spot, gives us a different view of the mountains.


and we take a moment to enjoy the splashing of this burn as it runs down the hillside.





before we follow the yellow poles towards home again.

21 comments:

  1. That is so beautiful, thanks for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! So how much of the snow poles show when it snows? Hopefully still quite a bit of them!! And stopping at the Harris tweed shop...hmmm...why would that be? ;)

    What a lovely way to spend the day, but if I was in that motor yacht, I'd be feeling very nervous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic scenery!! You are very priveleged to live in such a beautiful place!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning every time! All that tweed sent my heart racing as a avid dressmaker!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely morning tour. I think our family needs to pay you a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutly beautiful! We have just come back from a week in Scotland and I have to say that I am head over heels in love with it!

    Blessings from a little further south,

    Shirley Ann

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous as usual... the beauty of God's creation in abundance.

    Thank you for sharing the journey, I enjoyed it!

    Hugs San xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely. When we first moved up to Scotland we had a big argument about whether the posts were in fact for when it snowed. I won! Hope you can still see most of them this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was a lovely tour, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunning!
    I was just telling my mum about your blog after a chat today about wanting to visit Scottish islands and Ireland! now i find this wonderful post... which i have just shared with her! Thank you! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful natural surroundings. Thanks for the road trip.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmm, another inducement to visit your islands. I'm thinking Stornoway must be getting ready for the Mod. Daughter chose a school Modern Studies trip to New York over Mod participation this year - I was sorry not to have an excuse finally to get to Lewis, but I can also see her point. However we do know several people who will be going - wonder if we'll catch sight of them on your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just gorgeous. One of my favorite things about blogging is seeing more of the world, from the perspective of women like me! :)

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your photography is amazing Jacqui, I would so love to visit your part of the country.......I would most probably spend all my pennies in that Harris Tweed shop. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. We have a mountain here in Tasmania which also has the nickname of Sleeping Beauty. Its in the Huon Valley. Thanks for taking me travelling again.
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm looking forward to seeing this for real next year!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous1/10/11 19:43

    Oh what a lovely excursion, thank you very much Jacqui. (And for your lovely comment and loving thoughts.)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am glad you all enjoyed the trip - it is so beautiful and i love living here. How great it would be if you all came to visit!
    I am hoping the tweed project will be started very soon, and I will show and tell here when it is done.
    Linda - I can see your daughter's point, but i have to say, SYY is going to be the place to be during the Mod - and the week after for the Heb book festival (Faclan) We are all very excited. And you never know. If they see a woman with a blond curly headed boy in tow, taking photos - then that will be me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my, what spectacular landscape you're surrounded by.
    But it may have been the tweed that really made me gasp...;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. wonderful blog and a very patient person as regards my harris tweed questions

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a lovely trip...enjoyed your photos! I know it is an old post...just found it through your links.

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for visiting me. I love to read your thoughts and appreciate each one. I will respond to comments and queries here, so please check back xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...